LEGAL ENGLISH IN RUSSIA

LEGAL ENGLISH IN RUSSIA
The main aim of this blog is to discuss matters of interest to Russian speakers who work with and draft legal documents in English, based on my experience of working as a legal editor, translator and English solicitor in a prominent Russian law firm.













18 November 2013

What I do and what I don’t do

At work, I regularly receive requests to look over documents and sometimes they’re phrased in a way that really gets my back up. Sometimes the offending formulation appears even in the title of the email containing the request, making me ill-disposed to the task before I even know what it is.

Let me, then, take the opportunity to make something abundantly clear: I DON’T FUCKING PROOFREAD. I’m not sure if this is sufficiently forceful, so I’ll repeat it just for emphasis: I DON’T FUCKING PROOFREAD.

Let me take the liberty of setting out the following definitions from the Oxford English Dictionary (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/):

‘proofread’ - read (printer’s proofs or other written or printed material) and mark any errors

‘edit’ - prepare (written material) for publication by correcting, condensing, or otherwise modifying it

When I receive a text, I don’t just correct errors. I assess what the writer seems to me to be trying to say. I consider whether that’s conveyed in the best English for the task. If not, I try to make it better, using the kind of language a native-speaking lawyer would employ. In my eyes, that constitutes editing, NOT fucking proofreading.

If you refer to my job in the way I prefer, you’ll make me happy. And why would you not want to make me happy?