LEGAL ENGLISH IN RUSSIA

LEGAL ENGLISH IN RUSSIA
The main aim of this blog is to discuss matters of interest to Russian speakers who work with and draft legal documents in English, based on my experience of working as a legal editor, translator and English solicitor in a prominent Russian law firm.













18 November 2013

Do as I do or do as I say? The role of the legal editor

When I edit legal texts (and, as we’ve previously noted, I use this term advisedly), my primary objective is to produce a document that reads as though it could have been written by a native English-speaking lawyer. However, I strongly believe that an editor who works with non-native speakers has another important role, and that’s to set a good example to the people whose work you edit. People assume that you, as a native speaker, produce English that they can imitate.

While many native English-speaking lawyers, translators or editors do live up to this standard, it isn’t the absolute given that people may assume. In my view, this job entails a responsibility and people in this line of work should take this on board. I really don’t think it’s acceptable to follow the rather unhelpful maxim ‘Don’t do as I do, do as I say!’ but it seems more likely to me that where a bad example is set, it’s because the native speaker in question doesn’t contemplate the issue at all. I believe that our colleagues deserve better and that we should at least make an effort.