LEGAL ENGLISH IN RUSSIA

LEGAL ENGLISH IN RUSSIA
The main aim of this blog is to discuss matters of interest to Russian speakers who work with and draft legal documents in English, based on my experience of working as a legal editor, translator and English solicitor in a prominent Russian law firm.













18 November 2013

A note on British and American English

In this blog, I’ll be using British English. This is for the simple reason that I’m British. I’m not interested in offering partisan arguments about what may be the best form of English; in cases where British and American usage differs, the American version is probably to my preference at least as often as the British.

Many years ago, I came to Russia to work in a small law office headed up by two American partners. I thought I should try to produce American English. One day, one of the partners came to me and told me that I should just write British English: my lovingly crafted American English was, he said, just British English with American spelling anyway.

He was right and ever since then I’ve stuck with British English, because it’s what I grew up with and so it’s what’s most natural to me. I tend to urge others to do the same. It’s more important to try to write good English than worrying about a non-issue like this.