LEGAL ENGLISH IN RUSSIA

LEGAL ENGLISH IN RUSSIA
The main aim of this blog is to discuss matters of interest to Russian speakers who work with and draft legal documents in English, based on my experience of working as a legal editor, translator and English solicitor in a prominent Russian law firm.













21 November 2013

10 expressions with their roots in the glorious game of cricket

Cricket. It’s a game that is incomprehensible to many and is regarded as boring by some. On the other hand I, in the words of the song by 10CC, love it. How can anyone with a soul not adore a game in which the players break for tea? Where after heated battle for six hours a day over five days, they pack up to go home with no decisive result at all, merely shaking hands and saying, “Good show, chaps. It’s a draw!” This, it strikes me, is the height of Englishness.

Today, battle was resumed in international cricket’s oldest rivalry: over in Brisbane, Australia and England started a series of matches over the next few weeks for The Ashes. I won’t go into detail about exactly what this means, but for me it’s a BIG DEAL. And so, instead, I’ll bring you a few phrases that have passed into the English language (or at least the British version of it) courtesy of this engagingly eccentric sport.

It’s not cricket

Meaning of this phrase: This is conduct that is somehow unfair, unethical or improper.

This is the only phrase I could really start with. Cricket has a reputation, going back into the 19th century, for being a game played by gentlemen who competed honestly. Thus, for example, a tradition evolved that a player who had benefitted from an incorrect umpiring call would himself remedy this because it was the right thing to do, even though it was to his detriment in the context of the game. (Needless to say, such examples have become increasingly rare with the passing years.)

A modern example: The magazine printed the article by the editor’s son but ignored my submission even though it was better. It’s just not cricket.

Close of play

Meaning of this phrase: The end of the working day.

There are now also abbreviated formats of the game, but originally top-level cricket was and quite often still is played over several days. ‘Close of play’ refers to the time when the game finishes for the day in question.

A modern example: I’ll need you to send me that report by close of play on Tuesday.

Off my own bat

Meaning of this phrase: To do something at your own initiative.

You sometimes see people write ‘off my own back’, but that isn’t correct. ‘Off my own bat’ means, when I go in to bat for my team, the contribution I make to its score. In modern English, the meaning has evolved slightly.

A modern example: Bob never got back to me about a time for the meeting, so I went and arranged it with the client off my own bat.

He had a good innings

Meaning of this phrase: He lived a long life.

In cricket, an ‘innings’ refers to the length of time for which either an individual or a team is batting. In theory, a long innings should result in the opportunity to make a big score.

A modern example: My grandmother died last year at the age of 91. Of course I was upset – but at least she had a good innings!

To keep your end up

Meaning of this phrase: To perform your part of a shared task.

In cricket, two players from the batting side are engaged in batting at any one time, at either end of the pitch. Thus, one who remains in play is keeping his end up.

A modern example: My colleague put so much effort into preparing the presentation we were to give together that I felt I had to work really hard to keep my end up.

Hit for six

Meaning of this phrase: Overcome with surprise.

In cricket, a six is the maximum that can be scored with a single hit, so it implies a hit of some force.

A modern example: He was hit (or knocked) for six when his girlfriend left him.

On the back/front foot

Meaning of this phrase: ‘On the back foot’ means on the defensive; ‘on the front foot’ means taking the initiative.

If a batsman is on the front foot, he is going to towards the ball to strike it. If he is on the back foot, he is reacting by retreating.

A modern example 1: The witness was on the back foot as soon as the barrister started to cross-examine him aggressively.

A modern example 2: I went on the front foot and demanded that they pay the debt immediately.

On a sticky wicket

Meaning of this phrase: In a tricky situation.

A ‘sticky wicket’ refers to a playing surface which has become wet through rain. Typically this is difficult for the batsman because it makes the ball behave unpredictably.

A modern example: I didn’t have time to read the report ahead of the meeting, so I was on a bit of a sticky wicket when my boss started asking me about it.

I was stumped

Meaning of this phrase: To be at a loss as to what you should do or say.

Being stumped is one of the ways in which a batsman is dismissed and has to leave the field of play. This mode of dismissal involves him missing the ball, implying that the bowler has deceived or outsmarted him.

A modern example: My colleague asked me how we could get ourselves out of our impossible situation. I was absolutely stumped.

To break one’s duck

Meaning of this phrase: To achieve a particular feat for the first time.

In cricket, a batsman makes a duck when he achieves a score of zero.

A modern example: I’d never been recommended before by one of the leading legal directories, but this year I’ve broken my duck.